Tuesday, January 15, 2013

We're Going to the Drive-In. And We're Going to get Shot At

Okay...well....not really.

But I did experience my first drive-in movie since Total Recall premiered in 1990. I think Arnold traumatized me enough I have absolutely no desire to see it ever again. Nor the recently released Total Recall with Colin Farrell *swoon*.


So here we have Atlanta's own drive-in movie theatre. Starlight Six, meet my blog readers. Readers, meet Starlight Six. Make no mistake by this jazzy, sparkling sign - it is in the hood.

The bf and I knowingly drive to East Atlanta, stop at a Sonic (because why stop with just the movies...we are having a "drive-in" kind of night), get a Cherry Limeade and head to the show. It's all in the name of "The List". Numero 23 can now officially be crossed off.

To start, it was the most economical movie experience I have ever been had...$7 a person to see a double feature. I know, the more I tell you the more it seems I've reverted back to the 1950's. What's next, you ask? A 15 cent root-beer float, while Al gives me his class ring and Letterman's jacket, asking me to go steady. Naturally.

Let me tell you what happened next. Drove into what can only be described as the darkest rape...I mean parking lot on earth. Seriously, there are no lights. And they want you to turn off your headlights as soon as you enter. Ummmm hello, dat ain't happening. It looked like Mr. Scary Texas Chainsaw Man was going to pop out of the nearby woods and guess what, you'd NEVER see him coming. So the lights stayed on.

We found a spot on a hill and prepared for Movie #1: Haunted House. Movie Review Time - it was okay. I'd probs give it 3 stars simply because I love the Wayans Brothers and also Terry from Reno 911. Nick Swardson really does have a thing for playing not-so-straight characters and I love him for it. So the movie was "Eh, so-so at best". Funny at parts, specifically minutes 20-60. Anything before or after was absolutely boring. In other words, I'd wait until you can rent it on Redbox. Better yet, wait until it comes out on Netflix.

Onto Movie #2: Django Unchained. Thank you Quentin for saving our evening. Leo...Jamie...Samuel L...all on one screen with a not-so-subtle mixture of violence and Old South racism. It was sensory overload for me.

I digress. Back to the whole "us potentially getting shot in the hood" thing. So several times throughout the movie, the sound would completely cut off. Unfortunately for us, it was typically at the beginning and end of the movie. But a few times it happened in the middle, during a really funny or really dramatic part, where sound was a must. If the sound were to totally cut off (I mean, this isn't a perfect world or anything), you would hope it would be in the first movie and maybe someone would think to get the kinks out in time for the second movie. The better movie. The higher grossing movie of the evening. Let me again say....you would hope. Not the case here, folks.

After the 3rd or 4th time during Django, people were getting quite how shall I put this....pissed. You heard horns incessantly honking, car lights flashing (to the point I thought I was at a club with ultra hip and stroke inducing strobe lights), people screaming, shouting, and cursing like sailors. At one point, I thought I heard a gun shot. But no worries. I have a very blonde, very pretty, very white friend who goes here all the time. She told me the only time she heard about anyone being shot here was a car-jacking gone wrong or something to that effect. But it's okay because the victim "knew the guy". Needless to say, I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon. Sorry Starlight [Starbright], but your sparkle has faded.

L

No comments:

Post a Comment