Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Little Things

This post is dedicated to the little things on my list, that I so often forget to update y'all on.

For instance...new restaurants, random acts of kindness, and wearing my retainer (haha jk - that's between me and only me) Except this pic. Take a good long look. This will be the only time you'll see it. I hope you enjoy........

Yikes. I hope you don't get nightmares.

Note: I could play on PhotoBooth ALL DAY LONG. The bf was out of town and left his laptop. How could I not take a million silly pictures and leave them for him to discover on a later date? PS If you don't know what PhotoBooth is, please drive to your nearest Apple store and spend a few minutes familiarizing yourself with this little technological treat.

Well that was off topic...This past Saturday was a bit of a "Fat Kid Day", as I like to call it. I woke up slightly hungover from a concert followed by Jack & Coke Slushies (Check out - Victory). I think the latter had more to do with the hangover than the beer at the concert. Just a thought. Not only were the slushies totally worth it, but Anthony Bourdain gives a shout out to them on his show The Layover: Atlanta. Which I watched on Saturday morning. Thank you Mr. B for making me fall in love with my city all over again. And for making me want to go see Blondie even more (Elderly stripper pictured below...The Clermont Lounge's most seductive and experienced Lady of the Night).


So as you can imagine, after watching an hour of the best dining establishments in the 404, I was STARVING. We got dressed and hit up a local "market"...The Irwin Street Market. It was so cute and had this awesome local vibe going for it. We ate at Picnic, which was a sandwich+soup place in the building. Everything is made fresh and if I had to guess, organic.

I ordered a ham and cheese. Sounds plain, but it was far from it. The fresh french bread was grilled and cheese melted, and there was some delicious pesto/mayo concoction on the top. Holy crap. The bf got a BLT. Of course, this wasn't a normal BLT. It was a Fried Green Tomato with pimento cheese and pear jam BLT. Also delicious. I had a cup of homemade French Onion Soup to boot.

Just when you think it's safe to stop eating and leave, our personal chef tells us about the homemade ice cream. To break it down for you, my boyfriend has a problem. He is an ice-cream-aholic. A serious disease. Plus I was meeting a friend for FroYo a few hours later (which I still did). Do you think that stopped us from getting a scoop (okay, 2 scoops) of homemade ice cream? Absolutely not. His scoop was "Breakfast in Bed": Cinnamon Ice Cream with pecans, Belgium Waffles, and bourbon syrup. My scoop was some chocolate explosion in my mouth. I can't describe it. It was perfection.

Fat Kid Meal #2 - My boss has talked about this little Mexican place near our houses, his 6 year old son's "absolute favorite" place to eat, Jalisco. So of course, I had to try it out. It was tiny, authentic, and every table was full. We squeezed into a little corner, by all the "Crazy for Queso" plaques, and did what any person would do in that situation...order the queso. Obviously, being the Queso Connoisseur that I am, I loved it. I also really enjoyed my enchiladas. And the fajitas looked amazing as well. Not the best Mexican I've had in my life, but it was pretty tasty.

RAOK January - Stemming from a near parking ticket incident (thanks to Mr. Meter Reader for deciding on that warning instead of another $40 parking ticket), I decided to hit up the local parking meters in front of a heavily trafficked building in Midtown. I popped in an extra 30 minutes for all the cars (4 out of 5 of them were on empty. The 5th car had 3 minutes left). They might never have known I was there...but I saved them from $40. You're welcome.

L

No comments:

Post a Comment