Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Running in Wonderland

Ever since I was little, my very favorite Disney movie was Alice in Wonderland. I was blonde, loved talking in an English accent, and identified with Alice's curiosity with getting lost in a different world. She was always looking for adventure, and that damned white rabbit. Plus, she was kind of a betch. I could totes relate.


Back in July, I suffered from major FOMO (fear of missing out) and decided to spontaneously register. Fear immediately gripped my stomach and I regretted it. For this non runner, I kept repeating the phrase "what have I done?". Side note: The Princess Half Marathon typically sells out in under 12 hours, and is non-refundable. You can defer for a year but you can never turn back...down the rabbit hole I fell.

13.1 Miles seemed impossible. But what did I learn from the doorknob? "Nothing's impossible." Cross-training. Running. Resting. Repeat. Ran the 10k with my bf and got an okay qualifying time which translated into being put into a pretty decent corral.  People wouldn't be sprinting out of the gate, but wouldn't be walking either. Unfortunately, my schedule fell apart and I was lucky to run 10 miles total for the week (thank you Georgia winters). I may not have been as prepared as some, but what I lacked in preparation I made up for with sheer excitement.


Naturally, I just KNEW I had to rep a character from Wonderland. Cheshire Cat was a solid choice, and in preparation, I put these bad boys on my Christmas list (thanks Momma Bear and Black Milk Clothing). However, Alice is my soul sista. If I'm running 13.1 miles at the Happiest Place on Earth, you better believe I'm doing it dressed as Alice. Huge shoutout to my talented friend Loren at Gameday Bows for my finishing touch, the white bow...it made the outfit.

Fast forward to Sunday, February 22nd. Alarm was set for 2am. Around midnight I was still tossing and turning, half excited and half completely terrified. I decided to mentally run all 13.1 miles to put myself to sleep. I visualized crossing each mile marker and gave myself verbal cues. I was soon fast asleep. Everyone says distance running is more mental than physical. And after this race, I believe it. My brain remembered the visualization from the night before, I smiled the entire race, every time there were people on the side, I instinctively ran on that side so I could get high fives and read the encouraging signs. My body could have given out at mile 2 from all the walking the days leading up to it, but my mind...nope she was dead set on finishing. Look how excited I was to be at Mile 11!

Someone else told me the last .1 mile is a killer. You know you're close...but dang, you've just run 13 miles. It was around this time an Epcot worker called out "Hey Alice...you just missed the White Rabbit...he's about a tenth of a mile ahead, what are you waiting for!" Thank you sir, just what I needed to finish. And finish I did. I think I cried when I crossed and then immediately went to get my pixie dust in my hair and my knees wrapped in ice.

As crazy as it sounds, I think I could do it again. Not anytime in the near future, but yeah, I could definitely do it again. A wise woman once said (spoiler alert, it's Alice), "sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast". Never was that more true than on the morning of my first half marathon. Crossing this off my list.

Until next time,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment